International Development Law Organization
Consultancy - FRC goAML Customization OfficerSomalia
IDLO is the only global intergovernmental organization exclusively devoted to promoting the rule of law to advance peace and sustainable development. IDLO works to enable governments and empower people to reform laws and strengthen institutions to promote peace, justice, sustainable development, and economic opportunity. For over 33 years IDLO has supported emerging economies and middle-income countries to strengthen their legal capacity and rule of law framework for sustainable development and economic opportunity. IDLO enjoys Observer Status at the United Nations General Assembly. Its headquarters are in Rome, with a Branch Office in The Hague, liaison offices for the United Nations in New York and Geneva, and Country Offices in Afghanistan, Honduras, Indonesia, Kenya, Kyrgyzstan, Liberia, Mali, Mexico, Mongolia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Somalia, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Uganda, and Ukraine.
ABOUT FINANCIAL REPORTING CENTER
The Financial Reporting Centre (FRC) was established under Article 20 (1) of Somalia’s Anti-Money Laundering and Countering the Financing of Terrorism (AML/CFT) Act of 2016 to serve as Somalia’s Financial Intelligence Unit (FIU) responsible for receiving, requesting, analyzing and appropriately disseminating information concerning money laundering and terrorist financing.
The role of the FRC is to help rebuild the trust in the Somali financial system and promote the confidence level of international banks and governments in the Banks and Money Transfer Businesses (MTBs) that operate in Somalia by preventing Banks and MTBs from being used for money laundering and terrorism financing. The FRC does this by:
- Issuing regulations, providing guidance and feedback to relevant ministries and agencies as well as reporting entities in AML/CFT regime.
- Designing and implementing compliance monitoring and enforcement systems for sectors that lack designated supervisory authorities.
- Imposing proportionate, dissuasive, and effective administrative sanctions and penalties.
- Representing the country in national, regional, and global meetings, forums, and organizations that focus on AML.CFT issues.
- Signing and implementing a memorandum of understanding and other agreements with foreign financial intelligence units.
Through the FRC Technical Support Project, IDLO is providing technical assistance and support to the FRC including the provision of the goAML system developed by the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime to strengthen the FRC’s capacity to function as an effective and high-performing financial intelligence unit. IDLO has purchased the goAML application for the FRC and will support the customization of the system so that it meets the FRC-specific requirements. This process will involve the analysis of the system, understanding of FRC functional requirements and environment, data exchange needs among the different stakeholders, data formats and structures, system infrastructure, and translation of application interface into Somali.
The FRC goAML Customization Officer will be recruited into, and embedded within the Financial Reporting Centre’s Office in Mogadishu for an initial duration of 12 months. She/he will work under the primary supervision of the FRC Head of Information Technology and Data Security Division and will be responsible for the following deliverables:
- Coordinate and oversee the customization of the FRC goAML platform;
- Coordinate goAML customization with all relevant stakeholders and customize the platform according to the feedback;
- Present XML Schema in Somali to reporting entities for feedback and clarifications;
- Review goAML workflows reports, lookups, and configuration, and customization items;
- Work closely and coordinate all goAML suggested alterations, changes, and initiatives with the FRC Information Technology, FRC Analyst teams, and UNODC goAML team;
- Liaise with UNODC for goAML application interface translation processes including planning, receiving, interpreting, analyzing, evaluating, and integrating data into FRC goAML database.
- Extract and interpret goAML system information using FRC analytical techniques and procedures;
- Generate registration mechanism, reporting mechanism, and message board for reporting entities;
- Regularly keep FRC management and other relevant stakeholders informed of progress.
- Prepare a variety of written outputs and file monthly reports concerning the work and performed activities; and
- Perform other work-related duties as required.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
- University degree in Computer Science, Information Management, Information Systems or a related field;
- Minimum 6-8 years of relevant professional experience in IT management and software development.
- Specific knowledge, skills, and competencies
- Experience in Somalia or in similar contexts is highly desirable;
- Excellent project management skills;
- Excellent research, investigative, analytical, critical thinking, problem-solving, and decision-making skills;
- Sound oral and written communication skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Ability to collect data and financial information for analytical purposes; and
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Fluency in written and spoken Somali and English.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Applications will be screened on a regular basis; a qualified applicant might be recruited before the deadline. In the interest of making the most effective use of resources, only short-listed candidates will be contacted during the selection process.
IDLO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in all areas of its operations. We welcome applications of qualified and diverse candidates.
IDLO is committed to achieving a 50/50 gender balance at all levels within its workforce. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for IDLO vacancies.
IDLO does not tolerate sexual exploitation or abuse, any kind of harassment, including harassment of a sexual nature; or discrimination. As such, IDLO will conduct careful reference and background checks of all selected candidates as part of its selection process.
DISCLAIMER AND CLOSING DATE
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Contractor assigned to this work. This may not be an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality and in compliance with IDLO’s policy on personal data protection.
The Director-General of IDLO reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities or even to cancel the recruitment to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.
Application deadline: 5 December 2021 (23:59hrs Rome Time).