International Rescue Committee
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
Summary of Responsibilities:
The Nutrition officer will be working under the direct supervision of the Senior nutrition officer and will be responsible providing quality of health care services to patients as per WHO/IRC protocols and international benchmarks.
Major duties and responsibilities:
- Ensure that Nutrition activities in the Galgadud & Nugal regions and its mobile clinics are implemented and running smoothly, including active case finding, screening, and treatment and referral of malnourished children.
- Lead nutrition activities at the mobile clinic and Supervise patients health education sessions conducted by the CHWs in the MCH and mobile outreach sites.
- Ensure OTP/TSF protocols are strictly adhered in treating malnourished cases.
- With the support of CHWs organize case finding to identify malnourished children at community level.
- Provide health education and information on prevention and treatment of malnutrition, BF and hygiene and sanitation to the caretakers.
- Assist/Support health facility staff in compilation of monthly data reports and preparation of monthly health and nutrition supplies inventories and requests.
- Support the acute malnutrition management activities including training and supportive supervisory activities to ensure the Outpatient Therapeutic Care Programme (OTP) and Supplementary Feeding Programme (SFP) are operational and offering an integrated package of nutrition services.
- Provide regular and consistent technical assistance during implementation health workers and CHWs at health facilities and outreaches.
- Provide regular feedback on nutrition activities of the program.
- Assist in preparation of donor reports.
- Participate in the development and implementation of program work plan.
- Any other duty assigned by the immediate supervisor.
- In collaboration with the Health/Nutrition Project manager/Officers:
- Ensure adequate supply of essential drugs, diagnostics and other consumables to the supported health facilities.
- Provide periodic inventories.
- Support in management of facility store (sand ensure identification of gaps in health and nutrition sectors and provide regular on job training.
- Directly supervise the nutrition staff working in the mobile clinics.
- Direct monitoring and supervision the nutrition work activities of the OTP /TSFP measurer and registrar to ensure that work is done properly and efficiently.
Monitoring, management and capacity building.
- Provide regular supervision and technical support to health facility staff including participation in monitoring and impact analysis of the project.
- Supervise the efficient implementation of all feeding program; supplementary and therapeutic feeding programme interventions
- Monitor and review nutrition supplies and equipment’s’ movements such as deliveries, storage, transport and utilization at the site level.
- Monitor the situation and provide feedback to the senior nutrition officer.
- Ensure all OTP/TSFP team members are familiar with their posts.
- Work closely with the teams to ensure all children are measured correctly.
- Ensure all criteria are respected and understood by the teams including admission, discharge and transfer to and from the various components of the program.
Qualifications, Experience and Attributes
- University degree in nutrition, public health, or related technical field.
- At least Three years of similar experience in Nutrition and public health fields.
- Knowledge of the local working language of the duty station is required.
- Fluency in English required both oral and written
- Good knowledge of computer management and applications.
- Knowledge on SMART, SQUEAC and other nutrition surveillance methods will be an added advantage.
- Proven analytical, communication/ negotiation skills and ability to think strategically.
How to Apply
Apply through the following link:
Standards of Professional Conduct: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons, and several others.
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances.
Diversity and Inclusion: at IRC, we are passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that promotes and values diversity. Organizations that are diverse in age, gender identity, race, physical or mental ability, nationality, and perspective are validated to be better organizations. More importantly, creating a safe workspace environment where everyone, from any background, can do their best is the right thing to do. So, bring your whole self to work.
IRC is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive, respectful, and safe work environment where all persons are treated fairly, with dignity and respect. In keeping with our core values of Integrity, Service, Accountability and Equality, IRC strives to maintain a work environment built on mutual respect in which all individuals treat each other professionally, and free of bias, prejudice, and harassment. IRC expressly prohibits and will not tolerate discrimination, harassment, retaliation, or bullying of IRC Persons in any work setting. All IRC staff, wherever they are located, are accountable for creating an environment free of discrimination, harassment, bullying, and retaliation.
Female Candidates are highly encouraged to apply.