Consilient Research is a monitoring and evaluation firm that develops evidence-driven bespoke solutions to complex problems. With its roots in the Horn of Africa, Consilient Research delivers fully-operationalized research and contextualized analysis to development partners tackling global challenges. Established in Hargeisa, Somaliland in 2012, Consilient Research has completed more than 250 monitoring, evaluation, and research initiatives across sub-Saharan Africa and the Middle East in partnership with UN agencies, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), and private sector development firms. Rather than the traditional remote approach to research, Consilient believes the best work is done when a full-time team collaborates together in-country to deliver informed products across topical sectors. As such, Consilient delivers all its research products to the development sector with full-time locally based research teams. Consilient’s core services include program evaluations, impact assessments, third party monitoring, and situational analyses. Our multi-disciplinary team has worked across thematic sectors including education; emergency response; food security and agriculture; gender and social inclusion; governance, democratization, and justice; health; labor and markets; livelihoods and economic growth; media and information systems; resilience and disaster risk reduction; stabilization and peacebuilding; and conflict and security amongst others. Consilient also maintains full-time offices in Nairobi, Kenya; Sana’a, Yemen; and Washington, DC, USA. More information about our work can be found at www.consilientresearch.org.
Job Description: Consilient Research is seeking a Proposal Officer to support our business development activities in Hargeisa, Somaliland. Responding to advertisements published by UN agencies, NGOs, and private sector firms and other international development partners is a focus of our business development activities. As a Proposal Officer you will play a critical role in identifying opportunities, developing methodologies and research approaches, and submitting technical and financial proposals to our clients. Working closely with the research team, you will become familiar with research and methodological approaches as well as development programs and projects being implemented in the region. You may also collaborate on business development efforts with our research and business development teams globally.
Location: Hargeisa, Somaliland (potential to begin remotely with the eventual expectation of being based in our Hargeisa, Somaliland office as the Covid-19 situation allows.)
Contract Duration: 12 months
Perfect Candidate: Consilient Research is looking for a Proposal Officer that has a passion for international development, writing, and learning. Accountability and ownership of one’s work and a desire to learn are key attributes of the perfect candidate. We are looking for an excellent writer, with an interest in Somaliland/Somalia and the Horn of Africa region, who can help Consilient Research expand our services in the region. The perfect candidate will be a team-player and will be willing to work under tight deadlines. Familiarity with international development or monitoring and evaluation is a definite advantage.
Compensation: A competitive compensation package is offered in addition to:
- In-country living stipend;
- Accommodation in a Consilient Research guesthouse;
- Round-trip flights from your home base to duty station at the start and end of the contract.
Reports to: Business Development Manager
- Identify business opportunities through desk research, track client and donor solicitations/business forecasts;
- Conduct research on possible clients, ongoing programming and proposal-specific topics;
- Maintain databases and systems for recording and tracking proposals, awards and other related information;
- Work with research staff to develop contextualized research methodologies and approaches, budgets, and workplans to fit our clients’ needs;
- Write full technical and financial proposals for projects in Somaliland/Somalia (and other countries as needed);
- Provide regular communication with potential clients throughout the proposal review process;
- Participate in interviews with clients;
- Assist the Country Director during the project hand-off phase;
- Liaise and collaborate with global business development teams as needed;
- Assist in improving and maintaining new and existing business development resources (templates, CVs, promotional materials, including capability statements, past performance references, project databases, consultant contact lists etc.)
- A bachelor’s degree in International Affairs, Anthropology, Political Science, English, International Development Studies, or another relevant social science topic.
- Fluency in English (speaking, reading and writing);
- Ability to independently prioritize tasks and meet strict deadlines;
- Interest in Somaliland/Somalia and the Horn of Africa;
- Strong Microsoft Office and internet research skills; and
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
Preferred (but not required) skills:
- Experience with grant writing or training in business development;
- Familiarity with research, including quantitative and qualitative research methods;
- Experience with corporate marketing, branding, or graphic design;
- Experience living or working in a developing country;
- Basic knowledge of international development donors.
How to Apply
Please submit a single PDF containing your cover letter, CV, a writing sample in English (no longer than 3 pages) with your name as the file name to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In your cover letter, please detail why you are interested in proposal writing and monitoring and evaluation in the context of international development. Use the cover letter as an opportunity to convince us why you would be the best fit for this position.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.